Monday, October 02, 2006

O. My. Gawd...

If you witnessed last night's demolition of the NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks, you know what I'm talking about. Before last night the only knock I had on the Bears so far in 2006 was the quality of their opponents. Well, put that one to bed. They didn't just beat the Seahawks in Chicago -- they put on a clinic.

I was immediately reminded of a similar game in 1985. The 1984 Bears had gone to the playoffs, but still hadn't earned much national respect. Then about midway through the 1985 season, the eventual Super Bowl champions blew out the Cowboys 44-0. The game made the cover of Sports Illustrated that week, and the football world finally began to give them a little love. Within weeks, the Bears were media darlings.

John Madden opened the game with non-commital remarks about Bears QB Rex Grossman, basically telling the national TV audience that he was still in "show-me" mode about the NFL's Offensive Player of the Month for September. By the end of the third quarter Madden was making multiple comparisons between Grossman and the object of Madden's ultimate man-crush, future Hall of Famer Brett Favre.

The Bears are on their way to the kind of season I predicted back in training camp, but here's the part that's left me slack-jawed: As good as I thought they'd be, they're better. They're one of the two best teams in the NFL right now, and if they stay healthy, they'll keep getting better.

Hang on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home